Anyone interested in examining my doctoral research around Rory Gallagher, Phil Lynott and Van Morrison can do so by having a look here. It's now housed in the Mary Immaculate College digital repository, and is publicly viewable. Very proud about that, after all those academic machinations.
Key areas in that project: 1. Irish rock and Irish Studies; 2. The birth of the Irish rock industry; 3. Irish rock and hybridity; 4. Irish rock and Irish national culture; 5. Irish rock and African-American culture. I'm improving several sections at present, as Cork University Press are interested in publishing in book form.
I'm very happy to be involved with them, as their record in publishing around Irish popular music is very healthy, and Sean Campbell's book 'Irish Blood English Heart' that came out a couple of years back is really exemplary. That's the kind of scholarship I aspire to.
A second challenge is now establishing a timeline for entries and exits into and out of Skid Row. If I'm correct, it began in 1968 with Lynott, Cheevers, Bridgeman and Shiels, changed to Lynott, Cheevers, Brennan and Shiels, changed briefly to Lynott, Cheevers, Brennan, Moore and Shiels, then (I think) Lynott, Shiels, Moore, Brennan (recorded and released 'New Places/Old Faces', May 1969), then Shiels, Moore, Bridgeman [or maybe Brennan] (recorded 'Mervyn Aldridge/Saturday Morning Man', then went on to CBS, etc). I'm interested in Bridgeman's departure/return. Did Robbie Brennan leave before or after Phil was 'sacked'? And why did he leave? I'm fairly sure he's the Robbie Brennan that worked with Phil years later in Grand Slam...
Key areas in that project: 1. Irish rock and Irish Studies; 2. The birth of the Irish rock industry; 3. Irish rock and hybridity; 4. Irish rock and Irish national culture; 5. Irish rock and African-American culture. I'm improving several sections at present, as Cork University Press are interested in publishing in book form.
I'm very happy to be involved with them, as their record in publishing around Irish popular music is very healthy, and Sean Campbell's book 'Irish Blood English Heart' that came out a couple of years back is really exemplary. That's the kind of scholarship I aspire to.
A second challenge is now establishing a timeline for entries and exits into and out of Skid Row. If I'm correct, it began in 1968 with Lynott, Cheevers, Bridgeman and Shiels, changed to Lynott, Cheevers, Brennan and Shiels, changed briefly to Lynott, Cheevers, Brennan, Moore and Shiels, then (I think) Lynott, Shiels, Moore, Brennan (recorded and released 'New Places/Old Faces', May 1969), then Shiels, Moore, Bridgeman [or maybe Brennan] (recorded 'Mervyn Aldridge/Saturday Morning Man', then went on to CBS, etc). I'm interested in Bridgeman's departure/return. Did Robbie Brennan leave before or after Phil was 'sacked'? And why did he leave? I'm fairly sure he's the Robbie Brennan that worked with Phil years later in Grand Slam...
No comments:
Post a Comment